Monday, October 5, 2009

Kale Orange and Pineapple Salad

I've been looking for a new way to eat raw kale. I've grown a little tired of all the recipes I have on hand even though they are delicious. I needed a change.

As I was surfing through some other raw recipes online, I ran across a salad that had potential at Kristen's Raw. Kristen's salad had fennel and I'm just not a fan, but the other ingredients looked really good, so I decided to play with the ingredients  and I came up with a recipe I thought was so delish, I ate almost half of the recipe in one sitting!

Here's my version of Raw Kale, Orange and Pineapple Salad

Kale, Orange And Pineapple Salad
By Rebecca A. of RockyMountainRawFood.com

Yield 2-3 servings


1 medium bunch curly kale

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

2 tablespoons raw honey
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon fresh orange zest
1/4 teaspoon Himalayan crystal salt
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1 cup fresh pineapple, cut into bite size pieces
1 cup orange, peeled, seeded & chopped
1/4 cup red onion sliced
1 tablespoon cilantro leaves, chopped

Wash and destem the kale. Rip out the hard stems at the bottom of the leaf. You may want to leave the tender portion of the stem at the top of the leaf, but that's totally optional. I tear them out so they are easier to chew. Chop or tear the kale into bite size pieces.



Put the kale into a big bowl and add the lime juice, olive oil, orange zest, and salt. Massage the ingredients with your hands and let the kale sit while you chop the other ingredients.


Chop the oranges and pineapple into bite size pieces. Place the sliced red onion in the bowl with the kale. Then the fruit into the bowl with the kale and sprinkle allspice over the fruit. Next, drizzle the honey over the fruit and toss all together. Last sprinkle the chopped cilantro over the salad and toss again. Enjoy!
 

1 comment: