Thursday, September 17, 2009

Hot Pink Smoothie Recipe


I had a surplus of beets in my garden this year and I had to figure out what to do with them once we had eaten our fill of fresh beet salads.

I decided that a beet smoothie would be just the thing! Now, I'm really big on putting greens in my smoothies because they are so good for you, but this one was such a beautiful color, I just didn't have the heart to turn it muddy brown by adding greens.

The really cool thing about this smoothie is that it's such an enticing color that many people turned off by the thought of raw foods are actually willing to give this smoothie a try! I have had several raw veggie haters try this smoothie and like it.

Here's my recipe, but feel free to experiment with what you have on hand.

Serves 2 adults or 4 children

1 scoop vanilla Sun Warrior Protein powder
2 cups coconut water or filtered plain water
10-15 large fresh strawberries (frozen works great too)
1 large frozen banana
1 small lime peeled
1 -2 small beet, peeled
1/3 cup coconut meat (optional)
Agave nectar to taste

Place everything in the blender and blend until smooth and creamy.

Beets are wonderful for smoothies but they can be very strong tasting in large amounts, so if you have people in your home sensitive to strong tasting foods, use less fresh beet. This will allow them to adjust to the taste of beets without pushing them into a taste overload that may turn them off beets for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment